-->

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Wiring - part 1 of many ...

After cleaning up the shop last weekend, I was finally able to work on the layout. My priority is to have trains moving as soon as possible. To that end, I thought I would wire a small section of the layout as explained in this previous post: Partially putting everything together


I'm starting with the M3 section. All black wires should be connected together, whereas the red wires need to be separated for block detection. I'm using AWG 18 so far for this M3 section, but based on this website, I should be using AWG 12 or 14 for the bus. I will adjust as needed.

Section M3 wiring


Here's how it looks so far.

1. From the far end of section


2. Middle of section 


3. Near end of section 


Since all the black wires should be connected to each other, I've left a black wire on each terminal to connect to the neighboring sections. Then, I ran out of wires ...

PCB & Diodes


Following the same previous post, I've started to solder diodes on a PCB for the switch decoder: