-->

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Wiring - part 15

 

Now that the outside two tracks are fully functional, it is time to continue with the rest of the layout. I focused on sections G1, G2, and G3, which include switch motors TA3, TA4a, TA4b, TD3, and TD4:



I followed the usual process:

  • Use the tortoise template
  • Pre-drill for the 4 screws
  • Glue some track bed foam to limit vibrations
  • Insert 2 screws on the same side
  • Position the tortoise so the spring wire goes into the switch bar - this is the tricky part!
  • Keep the tortoise in that position while sliding under the table
  • Insert the other 2 screws and secure the switch engine



As I just mentioned, it can be tricky to position the spring wire from the Tortoise switch engine into the switch bar of the Peco switch. Case in point with TD3: the location is quite unfortunate:


After many attempts, I was not able to make it work because of the angle and the proximity of the benchwork. I decided to order a much longer wire and try to fit it from above the table; a wire of 0.025'' is needed here:

  • K&S Precision Metals 5005 Music Wire.025" X 12" Long - Amazon



As I'm waiting for those wires, I started to prep the other switch motors: