-->

Sunday, June 16, 2024

Custom test bench - part 11: DCC-EX + WIFI + OLED Display

 

Today, I focused on replacing the Roco DCC station by my new DCC-EX. First, I reconfigured the Arduino with the DCC-EX motor shield. It was one line in the config file to adjust and it worked immediately.


With the Arduino motor shield, the OLED display was plugged into the Mega board:



Pins 20 and 21 for the clock and the data: 



The DCC-EX motor shield not only simplifies wire management with only one power connection, but it also provides a dedicated header for the OLED, which will make it easy to fix the whole set into the box I purchased.





To mount the OLED display on the panel, I decided to mount the whole board on the panel. I had to bend the connectors, but it was quite easy.



Here's the final result! I added a switch - the round red one - for the DCC-EX unit, so I can choose not to start it if I don't need it. It also makes it easy to reset the Arduino without having to unplug the entire test stand.