-->

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Interior lighting of RIO Nord-Pas-de-Calais - part 12

 

It's now time to wire everything together!


The micro LED for the cabin is glued down with Gorilla Super Glue:



Since I damaged previously a lighting strip because of soldering, I make sure to test everything step-by-step:

White head lights

Red back lights

To prevent light leakage, I painted all the sides of the LEDs in black:




It's not time to assemble the 4 LEDs:






I added liquid tape for 3 reasons:
  1. Prevent electric short 
  2. Act as glue
  3. Reinforce light isolation



Since I put again the capacitor, I thought I would position the lighting strip so that the side with most connectors will be close to the "bathroom" compartment. My reasoning was that I can wire the red lights directly on the other end:


The 2 brown wires on the left are the DCC signal from the tracks. On the other side, there are 2 sets of brown and blue wires for the red lights. This setup does not work, it seems that the red lights need to be wired on the same side as the DCC signal 😥

This is what I've done here:




I now have to position all the wires neatly with double-sided tape. I took some effort, but I'm happy with the outcome, since I can barely see any wires once everything is put back together:




I also summarized all connections on this page:




Next step: some videos to see it in action!