-->

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Wiring the frogs!

 

I've been postponing wiring the frogs of the switches so far, but I thought today would be a good time to give it a try.


What's the frog?

I found this video on Youtube quite helpful:





Wiring the frog!

The Tortoise manual provides minimal information and the same goes for the Peco pamphlet. I'm using two of my previous posts: here and here.

I connect the frog (green wire) to terminal #4 or #5 of the Tortoise motor, then I connect the main feeders (red and black wires) into terminals #2 & #3 or #6 & #7:



Then, I can test with a multimeter:

The switch is not turned, the frog and the bottom rail have the correct polarities


The switch is now turned, so those two same rails have the same polarity


The switch is turned, the frog and the top rail have the correct polarities




How about a double slip?

The same principle applies to a double slip switch. Two things to note however:

  • The frog seems to be that tiny element on each side
  • Each frog relates to the opposite switch motor




Running through a frog-wired switch!

As usual, we'll conclude with a short video of an engine running through a switch with its frog wired: