-->

Saturday, February 5, 2022

A better way to set a long address on a Roco engine

 

In a previous post, I described how to manually set a long address to a Roco engine that is equipped with a Zimo decoder. I found an easier way with DecoderPro from JMRI ...



The model


But first, let's have a look to the actual model. It's the reference 73880 and represents the BB 522307 from SNCF in its "En Voyage" livery.


https://www.roco.cc/en/product/236491-73880-0-0-0-0-0-002002-1/products.html


Some pictures of my model:





And the links to all the manuals:
  • Functions on the decoder - link
  • Sounds on the decoder - link
  • Operating manual - link
  • Spare parts - link


The decoder & JMRI


I installed DecoderPro from JMRI a while back, but never really got to it. I launched it because I'm curious on how to properly program a Zimo decoder. While I didn't go into the full configuration, I found that setting a long address was actually quite easy. 

Here are the steps:

  • Launch DecoderPro and click "New Loco":

  • In the new window, click "Read type from decoder":

  • The software automatically detects the type of decoder and pre-selects the possible options. I was not sure which one it was so I chose the one that seemed to be the generic one "MX645 version 37+":
  • In the new window, it's very easy to provide a long address and click "Write":



The ECoS


Now switching to the ECoS, it shows the correct address; so much easier than the previous method:


Sadly, I'm not certain the decoder supports RailCom because there are no icons, so I need to do this manually which is a bit tedious. I used another BB 22200 from Roco to adjust the engine profile:




And voilà!