-->

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Consist of two Piko engines BB 460000 - part 1 (fail)


I found this video that explains the 3 ways to do a consist:

  1. Basic consist: both engines have the same address - I don't want to do that
  2. Advanced consist: both engines have a different address, but they both use CV19
  3. Command consist: the ECoS Command Station manages two engines as a consist



I also found this article very helpful: https://tonystrains.com/news/complete-guide-to-consisting/

One of the pre-requisite for consisting engines is speed matching. To run a test, I created a command consist and put each engine on separate tracks as my test bench allows for this:



Unfortunately, Piko's decoder seems to have the M4 protocol, so it's very different from the ESU decoder in the other engine. I've tried to overwrite the ESU settings with those from a different engine to have a smooth-running, but it didn't help.

At this stage, I've decided that I will use the Piko decoder in another engine. For my consist, I'm ordering two decoders from Train-Modelisme. Stay tuned!