-->

Friday, February 3, 2023

Interior lighting for Z 24500 - part 3

 

I ran some tests on the set in its existing conditions:

  • There is a decoder on each side: a function decoder in the dummy car and a sound decoder in the engine
  • I thought I set the same address #2450 for each decoder, but it seems the ECoS does not like that, so I temporarily set the function decoder to #2451





  • It allows to control white and red head lights depending on the direction



  • There are three modes for interior lighting: F18 is "white":




  • There are three modes for interior lighting: F19 is "yellow":




  • There are three modes for interior lighting: F18 & F19 is "warm white":





The challenge is that all LEDs are connected to the function decoder and it cannot handle the load required for the lighting in the 3 cars. I therefore decide to scratch all of that and redo it the proper way with the ESU strips.

The next pictures show how I went about removing the existing LED strips:











So, all LED strips have been removed. I need to:
  • install the ESU strips, including the small capacitors
  • rewire the Miniatronics connectors to pass through the power from the tracks
  • install a ESU PowerPack on sound decoder
  • think about adding lighting inside the driver's cabin
  • finish adding figurines