-->

Sunday, May 15, 2022

ECoS Programming

 

With all the wiring done and all the tracks glued down, I can finish the modeling of the layout on the ECoS. Here are the steps:

  1. Draw the layout by starting with the switches and by adding the remaining tracks
  2. Link tracks to Railcom and retro-signal detectors
  3. Test occupancy detectors
  4. Test switch motors





ECos switch symbols

As one would expect, the switch's icon on the ECoS does not necessarily show the correct way the switch is thrown. One would also expect that the ECoS allows for the icon to be switched without actually throwing the switch. Well ... I found only this article online and it seems that the only option is to actually switch the power wires to the switch motor. I tried flipping the switch motor manually, but that does not work.

This is unfortunate, as in some instances I could not swap the power wires since they were cut to size. Instead, I had to switch these wires at the terminal, ending in a color mismatching, which I certainly dislike:



Current status

Here's where we stand:
  • Wiring: done, except for the switch frogs
  • Tracks: done, except for the missing sleepers and for section M4 as I'm still not sure it is the best design since that area should have the freight hall
  • Switches: done
What's next then? Cleaning tracks ... again ...