-->

Monday, February 18, 2019

Digitization of a BB 67000 - Part 1 - Decoder

I own quite a few BB 67000 from Lima, Rivarossi, and Jouef that are analog and prior to the digital era, which means that they are not ready to receive a decoder.

Loco Revue № 851 from June 2018 tells us how to make such a transformation and how to replace existing lights with CMS LEDs. I provide a link here. I bought 3 items from Miniatures Passion:

  1. Circuit board MPPE451 - item and instructions
  2. Lighting kit "2 lights" MPEL110CMS - item and instructions
  3. Decoder ESU 54617 Lokpilot V4.0 Plux22 specifically programmed by Miniatures Passion - item



Note that Miniatures Passion sells similar kits for other engines; the full list is here.

I started by transforming BB 67329 from Lima (reference 208011). It turned out that this model is a 3-light engine, not a 2-light one. I, later on, switched the body with BB 67382 (reference 208576).

Opening the engine 


To open the engine, I had to remove the screws in the middle of the chassis and two on each end-side underneath the buffers.





Then, I had to spread the sides of the body to separate it from the chassis. It goes fairly easily. The footboards fell aside by themselves.


 I kept all the small parts separately.


I did a quick test on analog, specifically to see how the lights work.



I took several pictures of the wiring, just in case I messed up something - this is for reference below:






Preparing the circuit board


Since I planned to plug the lighting module, I soldered the resistors for that module in the first place. Then I tinned the various connectors as per the instructions.





Installing the circuit board


I unsoldered the wires from the existing circuit board. I did intend to keep the current wires.


To remove the board, I unclipped it from the board. There are 4 black clips in the middle of the board.


To remove the lighting module on each side, I just had to put a small screwdriver between the small circuit board and the chassis and do a gentle twist. It came off pretty easily.



Then, I clipped the new circuit board into the same position and soldered the wires as per the instructions:


One end with a wire for each trackside:


Wires to the motor:


The other end with a wire for each trackside:


And that is it!



Testing the newly digitalized engine


First, on the test stand:


Then, on the tracks: